Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Some poetry I like

This is a little short gem from Charles Bukowski better known for his biting prose which is sometimes considered vulgar but to me is just honest writing. This poem strikes a chord in me that might be related to my struggle with depression from my chronic pain. His use of the word sometimes in line thirteen always makes me stop and think. The poem flows better without that word but putting it in and separating it with a comma and a period makes me think he was just being one hundred percent honest when he wrote this poem. Sure if you try hard you can improve your life but sometimes fate has it in for you despite your attempts to try to fend it off. Such is life.



The Laughing Heart by Charles Bukowski


your life is your life
don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
be on the watch.
there are ways out.
there is a light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
be on the watch.
the gods will offer you chances.
know them.
take them.
you can’t beat death but
you can beat death in life, sometimes.
and the more often you learn to do it,
the more light there will be.
your life is your life.
know it while you have it.
you are marvelous
the gods wait to delight
in you.

@Charles Bukowski

No comments:

Post a Comment