Thursday, February 16, 2012

Packing up to hit the road

I am preparing to leave California. I can no longer access medical care in this state. I have an income of $900 a month and medicare but no doctors or hospitals accept only medicare anymore. You are required to have Medi-Cal in California which is the state run part of medical care. California has been refusing me medi-cal for eight months now. With my long list of health problems I won't survive without medical care so I am packing my solo bag and hitching a ride to somewhere else.

My first thought was to just commit suicide right here and now but I have decided to try one last time to settle down somewhere else in a different state where it is warm. I need warmth to help me keep my high chronic pain a bit lower. In cold and wet weather my pain just skyrockets up to levels I can no longer take. When I get to where ever I end up I will attempt to get settled and find health care. If it does not work out this time I will revert to my previous plan.

I have been thinking about the sun belt states like Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Texas, Florida and a few others. As I went over the list I have sort of decided to avoid states that have valley fever so Arizona, New Mexico and Texas are out. I have had enough of valley fever problems for one lifetime. That narrows the list down to the bug infested states East of Texas. I am not too fond of all the bugs either.

I really would prefer a place like the Canary Islands where the weather is nice and warm and there are almost no bugs at all. The problem is the federal government will cut off my social security if I leave the country. Then as a sick disabled old man I will have no way to survive. My choices are limited to somewhere along the sunbelt. Any ideas of locations from anybody? Warm, cheap, and not too many bugs with some basic medical care available is all I want. Does it exist? Or do I need to revert to my backup plan?

No comments:

Post a Comment