Saturday, February 8, 2014

Ride Day 159 Carlsbad to San Ysidro

I did not count my ride to Carlsbad as a days ride cause it was too short. I stayed with my friend, Jeanne, for the night and enjoyed my stay with her. We talked about her kitchen remodel and of course bike touring while we grilled some steaks for dinner. I enjoyed the night. The next morning we rode together to downtown San Diego. The ride was in perfect riding weather with a light breeze pushing us along. The ride is not too tough as it meanders along the beautiful Southern California coast except for Torry Pines grade which is a bit of work on a loaded bike. We did the long grade with no worries. Jeanne was a perfect guide taking me on all the best shortcuts to avoid traffic or to see good sights. She sure beats my garmin all to hell. Wish she was riding with me down South. We had an early lunch in San Diego when we arrived. After a short discussion about eating Mexican food in Old Town San Diego where it was predictable average food or taking the chance and winging it along the street we chose winging it. We were both risk takers I guess. Jeanne spotted a taco sign and we headed over to it. There was a very friendly San Diego Firefighter waiting for his food when we arrived and he raved about this restaurant being the best in the area. It was fun talking to him. We ordered our food and yes I did like it. I would promote it here but I forgot the name of it. I get that sometimerz more and more often these days. Soon it may turn into full blown alzheimer's. Such is life. We parted ways in downtown and Jeanne returned home and I continued riding south. I had planned on staying at KOA campground but I found a hotel for $39 a night that looked ok so for the extra $3 I went with that instead, Knight's Inn in San Ysidro and it seems fine to me and is a better value than camping. I did my laundry in the hotel and then ate some more fish tacos that were good before I bailed for the day. a few pics
pics

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jim- Met you yesterday on Sea bridge below Stanwell Tops- Can you provide a link to your 2015 Australian Pictures Jules_moto@hotmail.com Safe and happy riding

    ReplyDelete