Monday, August 30, 2010

Back on the road again




I had my reservations to South America now. There was still a month to wait until I left and I filled my time trying to get healthier than I was feeling after getting beat up by the meds. I tried to eat as healthy as I could with a good well balanced diet and only small amounts of alcohol. I started feeling better as the days went by. I even started going to the beach for short periods of time again. I was slowly losing the sun sensitivity. My skin still got a red rash like look every time I went out in the sun but it disappeared shortly after I got out of the sun and was always totally gone by the next morning. I kept reading a lot of novels. the books were piling up. I exhausted the supply of books at the book exchange in Quepos. I was begging books off of tourists I saw reading at the beach or where ever I saw somebody reading. I bought some of them and traded for some of them. The time was crawling slowly toward my departure date.

I found a ride up to San Jose with some tourists. We had a pleasant ride with a few stops here and there on the way to look at the crocodiles near the Tarcoles River and to see the coffee growing on some farms along the way. We saw a few sloths and monkeys too and caught a glimpse of a pair of scarlet macaws flying off in the distance but not close up. Once in San Jose I showed them the main tourist places in town and then I went over to my girlfriends house to spend the night before I flew out in the morning. She was always glad to see me. I had called her a couple of days earlier to tell her I would be coming over. She had a gourmet meal prepared for me when I arrived. The ticas sure know how to treat a guy to make them happy. We had a nice talk over dinner and then watched some tv together before I had an early night.

I was all packed up already for my trip. I was traveling very light with just a small packpack only half full. I figured I could buy some clothes once I got there since my clothes were getting kind of ratty anyways. I had my camera and my computer with me too but not much else. I arranged a taxi the night before to make sure I got to the airport on time. No problems with any of my plans so far and I hoped it kept going smoothly for the entire trip. I breezed through the airport check in and security then waited in the lounge for my flight to board. I met about a dozen people that I had hung out with in Manuel Antonio and Quepos over the last couple of months. We had a few drinks in the airport before my flight was called to board. I was flying Taca to Lima via Panama City stopover. I found my seat in the middle of coach and sat down to try to sleep a bit since I had almost a seven hour flight including the layover in Panama City.

As soon as the flight was in the air and the flight attendants could walk around one of the flight attendants came up to me and asked me to come with her. She did not tell me what she wanted but just asked me very nicely to go with her. She asked me where my luggage was and I pointed to the overhead. She opened it and took out my backpack. We walked up to the first class section in the front of the plane and she offered me a seat. There was nobody else in first class at all. Another flight attendant immediately offered me a big smile and a drink then handed me a menu to pick out some food. I took my drink and we started to talk. The two flight attendants spent the entire flight serving and entertaining me. I had a blast to say the least. We were flirting big time and eating and drinking. I was starting to get a bit drunk after a few hours. The flight attendants were both ticas from San Jose. I think if we had more privacy we would have had an even better time together. They doted on me to the extreme almost as if I was being punked somehow. I was almost suspicious of their over whelming hospitality but it was so much fun that I just went with the flow of things. We talked about ticas and about Costa Rica. They wanted to know if I had a tica girlfriend. When I told them I had several in different cities they told me that was the tico way. A tico saying is that they all have a wife, a couple of girlfriends and a boyfriend. The ticas should have the same expression for themselves since they all pretty much have a husband, a couple of boyfriends and a girlfriend or two also. We laughed about that and they asked me for details about my girlfriends. I refused to tell them any details. I told them I only offer details of my previous lovers if I am already naked in bed with someone not just sitting around flirting like we were doing. They liked that. They told me about how ticos and ticas gossip all the time about the love lives of others but that they never talk about their own experiences even if they are naked in bed with someone. I pointed out how unfair that could be but they did not care. The flight went way to quickly for me and needless to sy I did not get any of the sleep I had planned on getting on the flight down.

When we landed I got hugs to go from my friendly flight attendants and again went through customs with no problems whatsoever. As I walked out of the security area looking for my name on a card I saw my name being held up by another nice young woman. I smiled at her in my satiated state after my overindulgent flight and she told me she would be my guide for the next two weeks in Peru. I noted to myself that I would have to thank my travel agents when I got back to Quepos for setting up this wonderful experience so far. Even if everything went wrong from here on out I don't think I would have complained. She walked me to her car and she took me for a personal guided tour of Lima before taking me to my hotel and helping me check in. What a great start to my trip. Back on the road was being good to me, very good.

By the way the pics of Lima are from Wiki because I had camera problems again.

No comments:

Post a Comment