Saturday, August 21, 2010

Going crazy from Mosquitoes



We were in our hotel room under the mosquito net but there were still mosquitoes biting my girlfriend. She was going crazy from so many bites. She asked me to go sleep in the other bed so that she could cover up under the blanket and hide from the mosquitoes. So I went over to the other bed and fell asleep. A couple of hours later I heard her screaming about the mosquitoes again and I got up to check on her. She looked terrible. She had bites all over her. She was scratching them and pretty much had already lost it mentally over all the bites. Some of the places she had been scratching were bleeding already. She was crying like a baby. I got her some more benadryl to take and closed up her netting better than she had it and after a little bit of calming, soothing talk I got her to calm down a bit. She wanted to go home right away. She told me she never wanted to go to a jungle again. I wasn't very bit up at all and that pissed her off like I was holding out some secret that I hadn't told her about. I stayed with her to try to keep her from going totally insane over the bites but I wasn't very helpful. The sun finally came up and the mosquitoes seemed to slow down their assault on her--or maybe there just wasn't any blood left in her for them to suck out. She was so covered in bites it looked like she had a rash like the measles or something like that. She was not a happy camper. We showered and I went down to eat breakfast but she stayed in the room to try to catch up on some sleep. I brought some food back for her but she didn't want to eat. After a short discussion we decided that I would go out on the boat ride and she would stay in the room and try to get some sleep.

I went down and joined my friends and we took off to see some dolphins and to do a little bit of fishing. I had seen dolphins many times in all the fishing I had done in my lifetime. This trip was booked more for my girlfriend than for me and here I was out doing it without her. Such is life. We saw a huge school of spinner dolphins. The spinner dolphins are fun to watch. they jump out of the water with gleeful abandon and spin in tight circles end over end or just spinning as they arc up out of the water. They looked to be jumping about twenty feet high on a lot of their jumps. It looked like they just flat out loved life. We put some trolling rods out and only caught some needlefish and a couple of small pargos. It was ok by me. I just love being out on the ocean whether I catch fish, look at dolphins or just ride around.

When we got back to the hotel my girlfriend was feeling better. She came down for dinner and we listened to the other guests tell us about their trip out to Cano island. It was a long boat ride but they saw spinner dolphins too and climbed up to the top of the island. They enjoyed it. They saw lots of the large round stone balls that I had heard about. Some of them are six feet or more in diameter and perfectly round. Nobody knows for sure how they were made or why but there is some speculation that they were grave markers and the bigger ones were for more important people. That could be totally wrong though. They also snorkeled a little and saw some sharks, rays and eels along with some colorful fish. We spent a long time talking and drinking after dinner. It was enjoyable to us all and my girlfriend was recovering somewhat from her bug phobia.

We went to the hotel room eventually, a bit drunk and happy. After a nice long hot shower we crawled into bed. I made sure to kill as many mosquitoes as I could find and I very carefully tucked the netting in all around the bed before we went to sleep. It was much better than the night before. Lots of benadryl didn't hurt either. In the morning we had breakfast and jumped back into a water taxi for the ride back up the river to the airport. I enjoyed the Osa and my girlfriend will never forget the place. The flight back to Quepos was quick and painless. We even had some time to go to the beach for a little bit in the afternoon. The beach in Manuel Antonio is very nice and my girlfriend likes it as much as I do. I also think the salt water was helping her mosquito bites feel better because she was finally happy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment