Saturday, September 18, 2010

Guayaquil Ecuador









I spent a day seeing Guayaquil. all the usual suspects from the square to the cathedral and a museum and a park. I enjoyed the day. This was a day of rest before going to the Galapagos Islands and I needed the rest. I found some good food in a small restaurant near my hotel. I went to a few different bars to see what was happening but there wasn't much action anyplace. I wandered aimlessly around the area near the hotel. Guayaquil was very busy with people running all around like they had someplace to go in a hurry and the traffic was heavy but the overall feel I got from the city was a small town.

I was happy to be back at sea level. For the last couple of months I had been up in the Andes mountains at an average elevation of around 9000 feet. The air down here at the coast felt heavy by comparison. I wasn't winded after walking around the block down here like I was up high in the mountains. My guide was very good and told me all the local history and interesting things but most of it was just more of the same... indigenous people having a good life, interrupted by the ugly Spanish who destroyed the existing culture and replaced it with Spanish Christianity and culture. This is true for almost all of Central and South America for that matter.

I was horny and would have loved to hookup with somebody for the night but the town was just boring and dead. I didn't even find anybody to talk to much less spend the night with. The people all seemed very uptight and not willing to talk to a tourist beyond the polite business level of communication. I gave up and just went back to the hotel and caught up on all my emails and internet addictions instead. For the rest of the night I watched tv in my room and read up on the Galapagos Islands. Tomorrow I was flying out early in the morning. I was looking forward to the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment