Thursday, October 13, 2011

Facebook

I reluctantly joined Facebook after getting booted from My Space. My Space decided that I must be a pedophile because I was only communicating with much younger people. They sent me a letter and told me this and that if I was not a pedophile then I would need to take a picture of myself holding the front page of a major newspaper in the pic and explain why I was messaging young boys and girls. Well I was communicating with my children and their friends in a totally harmless way but that was not important to me. I never re-established my account because the Big Brother concept was too much for me to want to rejoin My Space. Instead I switched to the then new Facebook.

At first Facebook was very good in my opinion. I could friend people and keep up on their life with little interaction needed. It was good for keeping up with my children and their friends but also other relatives and friends that I did not see often in person. They could keep up with me too by reading my posts. Everything went well for a few months. I felt that this method of communication was fair and equal to all with no cliques or gossip on it because everyone could see all the posts. Finally I felt, here was a place where people were all equal. Then Facebook started to mess with the feeds by deciding which posts I got to see. They formulated their own rules for which people I could follow. Suddenly the nephew's posts disappeared or my friend in Florida that I didn't post to for a while was gone. There was no notice given, people just disappeared on me by Facebook's design.

Then it changed more. Facebook allowed people to start forming private groups and cliques. That is fine and dandy if you liked high school. Myself I refuse to join a group or a clique. I hated them in high school and I still hate them. Suddenly gossip soared on Facebook because you could block the target from seeing the gossip or rumor or whatever while you spread it to everyone else. Facebook is just like real life now. I see people being much more careless of what they post because they think it is private. Nothing ever posted on the net is private. I see lots of turmoil ahead. I think that is just what Facebook intended to create. I hate it myself.

One other thing I hate is the app "do you still want to be my friend yes or no" or whatever it is called. To me friendship is not that cold. If you are my friend then you are me friend for life unless something drastic changes between us. I stand by my friends through thick and thin. This app is rude and insincere at the least. I could go on for hours about what is wrong with it but I am too lazy to rant right now. Instead, my account with Facebook will be closed soon because I just don't want to be a part of all that negativity. Personally I am glad to be out of highschool and have no intention of going back to that garbage. Such is life even on the net.

No comments:

Post a Comment