Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Spanish School in Buenos Aires

I signed up for Spanish classes for a few hours a day in Buenos Aires. I was having trouble with my Spanish because every country I have been in that speaks Spanish speaks it differently. In Argentina they have rewritten how the language is spoken and written. They have eliminated all but three exceptions for verbs and they use vos instead of tu. They also add the word si about every five or six words. They sound like one of the Marx Brothers when they talk. I think si that the sun is out si and tomorrow si I think it will si be out again si. I had to laugh at them at first. But I took the class to learn how they speak.

I went to my classes in the morning and in the afternoons I usually hung out with the other students in a bar or something. My teacher was a young woman from Buenos Aires. The people of Buenos Aires call themselves portenos, or people of the port. She was a very forceful young woman with a loud voice. We had a lot of fun in class. I was still having major pain problems and I was taking lots of morphine almost everyday so I was having troubles remembering things for class. I also had difficulty sitting down and being still because that made my pain go up. My teacher relentlessly teased me about my lack of memory and my fidgeting. I did not mind her teasing me or I would have made her stop. It was fun. One day in class we were having lessons when all of a sudden she ran over to the windows which were to our backs as students and pointed out some naked tourists in the hotel across the street from our classroom. She had us all watching them walk around their hotel room naked. She was laughing her head off at it and insisted we all continue to watch them as she worked on our conversation Spanish about naked people in hotel rooms. It went on for about 25 minutes before class ended.

After class that day most of the students went for a walk along Florida Street which is a pedestrian street popular with tourists for shopping. There are entertaining street shows like musicians or tango dancers and things along the street and lots of shops selling high fashion clothes and leather work. We watched a couple of dancers doing the tango for a while then we headed to a bar for a few beers and some empanadas. Empanadas were commonly sold on the street. They are a pastry folded over with a filling of meat or fish or something. We had found a sidewalk stall along Florida Street that had some good beef ones. We went back several times a week for them.

We partied in an Irish pub for a few hours and then it was getting dark so we headed over to Shoeless Joe's for some free beer. There were basketball playoffs on TV that night and we wanted to watch them. When we got to Shoeless Joe's there was already a big crowd of mostly twenty something American kids. There was one gorgeous tall girl from San Antonio Texas that couldn't find anyone to root for her team with her. I volunteered to join her in her hour of need. We rooted for San Antonio together while most of the rest of the bar was rooting for their opponent. She was 23 with long big hair and brown eyes. We drank a lot of free beer along with everyone else in the place. My friend was really loud and loyal to her team. San Antonio was behind for most of the game but they rallied at the end to win in an exciting finish. Her and I rubbed it in relentlessly to the losing fans for a while. Then we decided to walk over to a dance club. On the way to the dance club my friend decided that she had drank too much and asked if we could just go to my place for the night. Sure, we can skip the nightclub and go directly home. Who was I to argue. Now just for the record, I do not take advantage of young drunken girls. I am only interested in relationships with willing adult partners. We went up to my place which was only about a block away, and I made some food and some coffee. Then after we ate she asked if we could take a bath together. That kind of caught me off guard, but we jumped in my nice big tub together and talked for a while. She was sobered up by now and I decided that she was doing things of her own free will so we started to play around kissing and fondling each other. The next morning I thought she would wake up with a hangover but she instead woke up still horny. She took a shower and brushed her teeth and climbed back in bed with me for a few hours. We skipped going to school that day. We went to different Spanish schools so she was not in my classes or anything. We hung out together for the rest of the playoffs. When we were in public we just acted like friends not lovers and she would flirt with all the young men chasing her all night and then I would "walk her home." I had to go online and teach myself about the team so I could follow her constant basketball chatter but it was a small price to pay for all the fun we had together.

I still have no pics for this time period. I will try to find and post some generic pics later.

1 comment:

  1. hey there!
    i don't really know how i ended up on your blog, but lately i've been feeling nostalgic about my days in buenos aires, learning spanish... you know, going out with your classmates after class, and all that... i went to this school called El Pasaje, small and really really nice, what about you? which was your Spanish Schools in Buenos Aires??

    ReplyDelete