Sunday, June 13, 2010

Life goes on











After the divorce from Sue I settled into a life doing daycare and raising my kids. I did some construction on the side because I did not make enough money doing daycare to survive. I had my own house that I rented and Ellen the mother of my last baby had her own house just down the block. We spent about half the time at my house and half the time at her house. My three kids with Sue were usually with me at my house. The years flew by without a lot happening other than the usual family stuff that everybody goes through. There were marriages and graduations and all that fine stuff. My kids had some problems when they first turned into the teen years like most kids do. I won't go into details about any of that because there was nothing out of the ordinary and they all passed through their rebellious stages.

I visited Wisconsin a couple of times and some of my family from there visited me in California. I was quickly drifting apart from my Wisconsin family. My father was relentlessly mean and negative toward me. I asked him repeatedly to stop treating me like that but he just got worse. When he started telling my kids that they were assholes I ended it. I finally just decided that it was better for my own mental health and for my children to just stop being around him entirely. Cutting him out of my life pretty much cost me any relationship with the rest of my family. My mom backed up my dad's opinions with her silence about it. My brothers and sisters decided that I was being mean to my dad and therefore I was the asshole. My dad was always very careful to only treat me badly when there was nobody else around to witness his behavior. Then when other people were around he would act oh so sweet to me but he always had that evil look on his face when he looked at me. He also told people all over town that I was gay for some reason. I don't know where he got that idea from but I believe my ex sent him a letter with a bunch of her trash talking in it and he took it all as facts. I ended up having no relationship with any of them any more. I just got tired of always being the one at fault for not putting up with any further abuse from my dad. If that meant no relationship with the rest of the family then that was how it had to be.

I broke up with the mother of my kid when he was fourteen. I was just finishing building a house for the family when I got disabled suddenly. I could not get the house finished. I was flat on my back for well over a year and had multiple surgeries with the end result of high chronic pain for the rest of my life. The doctors told me I would never walk again. Ellen decided she did not want a disabled partner and started to treat me terribly. I told her that I was not going to be treated like that and I wanted out of our relationship. That was it and she quickly took my son and left me alone, flat on my back. I was glad to see her go. She was cold as hell. I was better off alone.

Losing my son however, was the second time my children had been taken away from me. I was already beaten down from the last time and I realized that I would not survive another attack by an angry ex. She filed for full custody and I could not fight anymore. She offered me $40,000 to walk away and never see her or my son again. I told her to keep her money and that if I didn't get fifty fifty custody then I was out of the picture. She told me that she would fight me forever and never let me have my son back. I did not have the mental health to continue with the fight so she won. She walked away with my son. I did not see him again or have any contact with him until he was in his twenties.

I almost committed suicide shorty after she took him away. I went down to the bay to take my life and I was interrupted by a police officer that I knew from fishing. He started to talk about fishing with me. It was 2:30 in the morning all I had was a rope and a knife with me and he assumed I was fishing. I had no fishing pole or anything. He was oblivious to the state of mind I was in. He did not leave me alone until almost sunup so I postponed my suicide that night. The next day I decided to try to live my life a day at a time. I still am taking life a day at a time twelve years later now. My depression has never gone away. I did recently reconnect with my son in the last few years. I am happy about that. He will never understand the gap in our relationship. The kids are always the losers in divorce, American style.

2 comments:

  1. OMG I hope Ellen reads this one; in fact I think I will email her the link! No-one offered you any money Jim... what is wrong with you! You stopped talking to Robin, which he was extremely upset and confused by, because he chose to stay with his mother; you didn't even have a home he could stay at... I saw you at camp and he would walk by you and you would completely ignore him... you really messed with his head; shame on you. Your bloody luck he is talking to you today after the way you treated him... how could you stand next to your son and act like he doesn't exist... your pretty messed up but your are your father's son....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Anonymous because you did not see something does not mean it did not happen. You seem to think you know all the facts but you do not seem to know what a fact is. There were only four people present when I was offered money to stay away from my son. She also told me she would fight me forever if I did not give up seeing him. But unless you are one of those four people you could not know that.

    ReplyDelete